Who Should Attend?
Only 1 in 4 individuals with pain receive appropriate therapy. Chronic pain is the most common cause of long-term disability, 1/3rd of all Americans will experience severe chronic pain at some point in their lives Only 1 in 4 individuals with pain receive appropriate therapy. Poorly managed acute pain may cause serious medical complications Undertreated chronic pain can impair an individual’s ability to carry out daily activities and diminish quality of life Pain is also a major cause of work absenteeism, underemployment, and unemployment.
- Describe the current status of pain management in the United States, barriers to appropriate assessment and management of pain, and consequences of undertreatment of pain.
- Learn about the most important pan classification that guides the pain treatment process.
- Explain the pathophysiologic mechanisms involved in pain perception.
- Understand the difference and clinical implication of COX1 and COX2
- Understand mechanism of central and preipheral sensitization and how it plays major role in pain not responding to treatments.
- Discuss the importance of anatomy and biomechanics in pain management
- Name elements of the pain assessment process, a tool used for pain assessment, and strategies for overcoming barriers to pain assessment.
- List the types of pharmacotherapies used to manage pain and compare the mechanisms of action, uses, dosage forms, routes of administration, dosages, and side effects of the various options.
- Discuss the role of nonpharmacologic interventions in treating pain and name a clinical use for a nonpharmacologic treatment.
- Review treatment approaches for acute and chronic pain (selected case studies)
- Answer the question why pain persist?
Outpatient, Home Health, and SNF
This course is approved for 8 contact hours for PT/PTA in IL/IN
WHAT CLINICIANS SAID ABOUT THIS COURSE?
Very knowledgeable- interesting and information that can be used in patient care today, PT Rehab Manager, Amita Health
Thank you for your specialty and ability to share your knowledge, OTR/L
Excellent information and great presentation. Important& appreciated. Thank you!, SLP , Amita Health
We need to do this every year, PT , Amita Health
Thanks “very helpful, PT , Amita Health
Great!, scary but stimulating”, Amita Health
Mike Ditka Review
“Mehana, thank you for a great job. You are the best and you made my recovery much faster, If I ever need more services, you will be the guy”
-Mike Ditka (Chicago Bears Head Coach and hall of fame 1984/85)
Registration and Breakfast
Learning Outline and Objectives
Anatomical and Biomechanical Consideration For Pain Management
Barriers to the Appropriate Assessment and Management of Pain
Assessment of Pain
CANNABINOIDS (MEDICAL MARIJUANA)
LAB LBP AND CTS